Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Epic PCS: Medical Screening

Me after my first 5k. The picture of health...right?
I attend workout classes. I run sometimes. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables every day (ok, well at least fruit). I consider myself healthy, but I was nonetheless nervous about the medical screening process for Okinawa. There is a review board that reads every application in order to determine if a dependent (me) is healthy enough to accompany the service member (Matt) to his duty station. This only happens for duty stations in a foreign country.

Since I was nervous, I decided to start as early as possible. I called the overseas screening office at the naval hospital and learned that I had to make an appointment just to pick up the application. The explanation of the many steps to apply takes so long everyone needs their own window. So I had to wait a few days for my appointment to pick up the application, and then the fun began. 

Step 1. Fill out an application of my entire medical history. 

Step 2. Obtain a signature from family services to ensure that there are no domestic violence cases pending. 

Step 3. Obtain a signature from Matt's chain of command.  

Step 4. Complete an online anti-terrorism training. (I guess this is related to my health...sort of.)

Step 5. Dental screening on base. They took one of those x-rays where they clamp your head in place and have a camera swing around you 180 degrees. Those are strange.

Step 6. Go to a doctor I have never met before so that she can sign off that I should go to a foreign country. I was supposed to go to "my doctor," but I had just moved to a new state. I had to wait a week after my appointment before my new doctor had time to sign my paperwork. 

Step 7. Obtain my most recent lab results.

Step 8. Immunizations. See my previous blog post. 

After I had gathered this copious amount of paperwork I had to make an appointment to turn it all in. The sailor informed me I would receive a call within the week. Nine days later I get a call telling me my application had been...denied. 

Yep. As of today I am not allowed to accompany Matt. They informed me my prescription is not available in Japan, and I have to switch to a new one before I can leave. I am returning to my new doctor in order to get this worked out. Watch for updates as I convince the military that I really am healthy.




2 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! Did they straighten it out? Are you cleared yet???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. Once I give them the paperwork it only takes a week to review, so I still have plenty of time!

      Delete