Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Epic PCS: The Movers

When we last saw our possessions they were sitting in a climate controlled storage unit in Virginia. TMO had finally scheduled a move with a local moving company, and I drove myself back to Stafford, VA in order to meet the movers that would pack my stuff and send it on its way. Really my only job was to sign the paperwork that stated that all of my furniture made it onto the moving truck. As a result, the whole process was awkward for me. I could not help pack anything since the moving company was legally responsible for everything arriving intact. I spent hours watching strangers pack my things. I tried my hardest to stay out of everybody's way. This is difficult in a ten by ten storage unit.

Five hours and three smoking breaks later, the movers finished nailing the wooden crates shut. The temperature was 105 degrees that day, and we were all hot and hungry by this point. I signed the papers that listed everything I owned and watched the truck drive away. The wooden crates will be loaded into a trailer that will be loaded by crane onto a ship bound for Japan. The journey takes over forty days, so I am glad our stuff has a head start. 

I faced two major emotions during this process. The first was helplessness. I wasn't able to do anything! I tried to tape a box shut, and I could not even tear the packing tape! I asked one of the movers a question about the drawers in my dresser. I asked if they needed to be secured since they were only loosely shoved into the proper slots. He told me not to worry my little head about it. My little head has worried about plenty of things before: college classes, employment during a recession, and, I don't know, moving to a foreign country!?! I was present, but I was not taken seriously. 

The second emotion was gratitude to my friend Emily. She not only let me stay at her apartment the night before, she cooked me a turkey dinner with homemade gravy! The greatest sacrifice she made was to meet me at the storage unit. She watched strangers move my things for five hours in a storage unit during a heat wave so that I would not be alone. I only met her eight months ago, but she is a perfect example of how other military spouses can become your family when you are in need. Thank you to my wonderful friend! I want to be more like you, Emily. 






3 comments:

  1. Were these Marines or movers?!? Marines I get; movers, they were patronizing. Sorry to say, but I've learned gray hair has benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were movers. This was all after I had to convince them that I was the person they were supposed to meet...I looked too young!

      Delete
  2. Update: Just received an email that our stuff weighed in at 2322 pounds! Plenty of room left for souvenirs when we return!

    ReplyDelete