Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Town of Wilmington, NC


Matt and I love our little beach town, but sometimes we have to leave. If we want to shop at Target, eat at Chick-fil-a, or, in this case, see a movie, we travel to the neighboring town of Wilmington, NC. Wilmington has its shopping areas with the Target, Chick-fil-a, and movie theater, but my favorite area of all is historic downtown Wilmington. Downtown Wilmington consists of a few streets packed with locally owned restaurants, shops, and museums all housed in historic buildings. Water Street hosts many restaurants that overlook Cape Fear. This weekend we decided to explore and eat dinner in downtown Wilmington before heading to our movie.

Unbeknownst to me, this weekend Wilmington was hosting its annual Port City RibFest which explains why we had to park on the roof of the only parking deck in downtown. While we were up that high I snapped a few shots of the city from above.
I love the church steeples and old houses peeking through the trees.






We descended seven floors and walked along Water Street. The sun was beginning to set, and the view was amazing.
You can barely see the USS North Carolina behind us. 


I had made reservations at The Little Dipper, a fondue place. Matt and I have a soft spot in our hearts for fondue. It is, after all, the kind of restaurant we traveled to after he proposed. The website for the restaurant stated that it was voted one of the top 100 restaurants in the country by OpenTable.com, and I can see why. They have seventeen different dipping sauces to choose from. Seventeen!!! If you have seen me eat french fries you understand that the food is only a vehicle for the condiment, and I loved having so many choices! We dipped our filet mignon and shrimp in sweet and sour sauce, honey barbecue, and the au pouivre (a mushroom and peppercorn combination).

This place was so fancy! They served coffee in clear mugs with your own personal silver sugar bowl!

 We saved room for dessert...milk chocolate and white chocolate fondue in the same pot! I embarrassed Matt by taking pictures of all the courses. The flash was on by mistake the first time. Matt embarrassed me by asking if the decorative flower on the plate was edible. The answer was yes surprisingly. Despite all of that we had an amazing evening that ended in white chocolate dipped strawberries. What could be better?


2 comments:

  1. I know you loved the strawberries...you have always eaten those no matter what else is served.

    Ms Gail

    ReplyDelete