Saturday, April 11, 2015

The Life Aboard Ship

It's Matt again. You may have noticed that I have not been in any pictures recently. This is because I have been exercising my amphibiosity and living aboard a naval vessel for the last few months. I am currently attached to the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, or MEU. The Marine Corps is famous for its ability to respond to crises within a day. They do this by having big groups of Marines floating all over the world on ships with all the equipment they would need for any kind of mission. The end result is a bunch of Marines and gear being stacked (literally from floor to ceiling) aboard a navy ship already full of sailors. Ship life is different. I am glad to be back on dry land. I missed sunlight, steady ground, and having more than 8 square feet to myself. And Amanda. While Amanda was blogging in Okinawa I was taking photos of my own adventures onboard ship and during our exercises in Malaysia and Korea. 

My room and one of my three roommates. This is officer berthing because the beds are not stacked six high.

This is a LCAC which is how the navy spells "hovercraft." Can you hear 10-year-old Matt squealing?

Our first stop was Malaysia and IT. WAS. AWESOME.

Our tour guide Oswald. He showed us monkeys and monitor lizards and took us into the jungle.
The night market in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. Great street food for cheap.



Ship to shore raids in Ospreys. 



2 comments: