Friday, September 13, 2013

The Wrong Class

As the date for our departure draws near, I realize how many things still need to be done. I am working on checking off items on my list one at a time. I still have questions about the necessary paperwork, so when my friend mentioned she was attending a class on moving overseas I asked if I could tag along.

When we arrived at the office I should have guessed something was wrong when the receptionist wanted a lot of paperwork that I didn't have with me before she would let me in the class. When I argued that I just wanted to sit in and listen she agreed, but she did look confused. The class started with the two of us and several Marines. I soon realized my mistake. This was not a general class on how to move overseas. This was a class on how to move your stuff overseas. The stuff that I currently have sitting in storage in Japan waiting for me. I did not need to be in this class.

The instructor asked everyone how many shipments they needed. We qualify for two: a large shipment that travels by boat and a small one that travels by plane. I said one. He gave me a confused look.

"Just one?"

"Yes...well, the one already shipped." The confused look continued. I tried to explain, "My stuff is already in Japan."

"So...why are you here?"

"I think I'm in the wrong class."

"Are you?"

I looked around for help. I didn't really want to explain that my ride was in the right class so I couldn't leave. "Don't worry about me," I assured the instructor.

"So you're just here..."

I nodded, really wanting to not be. He continued with his class which concluded with everyone electronically submitting their shipments. I am glad that I was there. My friend might have felt awkward being the only spouse, but I ended up taking up all of the awkwardness in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment