Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Right Class, The Wrong Day

A dark, empty classroom. Must be the right place!
I had still had questions about what paperwork was necessary for my cat and me to enter a foreign country, so I invited my fellow future Okinawa resident Christine to a class taught by the relocation assistance department of MCCS (Marine Corps Community Services).  When we arrived we found a classroom that was under construction and locked. We followed the sign to another classroom. It was empty and dark. We checked the flyer online. We made sure it was the right day, the right time, and the right location. I would not be surprised if I made one of those mistakes, but this time everything was correct. We asked for help from the first person we saw. She referred us to a secretary who referred us to the relocation assistance department. The class had been moved to the week before without an update on the website. The man who was going to teach the class had us sit down and gave us a private class. I found it less than helpful.

He opened up by assuring us that he knew what information we wanted. He then referred us to an international shoe sizing guide. Obviously as women our first priority is new shoes, not the maze of paperwork we are expected to understand as spouses.

He also spent a good bit of time trying to convince me to leave Tilly behind. "I don't want to make you cry. I had a woman in here last week crying in here about her pet, but I think its better to tell you the truth. It is really hard to take a pet to Okinawa."

I have done a lot of work already in preparing Tilly, so I responded gracefully, "That is fine. I am still going to bring my cat."

"Well...some housing is not pet friendly. You might not want to bring her."

I responded less gracefully, "Cats are allowed in more housing than dogs."

"Well...she might not be allowed on the plane. There are a limited number of spots."

"We already turned in her paperwork for a spot on the plane."

"Well...you have to pay money for a pet to fly. Do you know how much? Over a hundred dollars."

"She is worth it." And she is.

The questions I had about her paperwork were obviously not answered. We were in his office for an hour. He kept assuming we were further behind on our paperwork than we were. He showed us pictures of the island so we would know what it looked like. I researched the size and shape of the island the first night I learned we were moving there. I did learn about all of his children, nieces, and nephews. I don't think that will help me in my move.

Oh well, at least I have the internet to research what needs to be done. And Mexican food. Christine and I were starving after a very long hour at his desk, so we went out for a second lunch. Thanks Christine for making sure I wasn't alone in yet another awkward situation!

4 comments:

  1. If you still have questions on moving Tilly, let me know. One of my "adopted moms" took their dog and cat every overseas move they did. I can get y'all connected : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were back and forth about bringing our dog. We were afraid to put her through some of the traumatic stuff, like the plane ride and kennel. She is doing wonderful, though, and we are so glad we brought her! It wasn't easy, but it's possible (and cats are way easier than dogs). Let me know if you have any questions! I would be more than happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! Tilly is worth it!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! The main question I had was about advance notification, but I read on the blog Okinawa Hai that it was not necessary if you are on the military flight.
    Mackenzie- I am so glad everything worked out so you could bring Lexie. If anything else comes up I will message you in a panic!

    ReplyDelete