Monday, June 22, 2015

The Clear Floor and Pancakes

Most of my adventures occur either on the weekends on a date with Matt or during the week exploring with my girlfriends. Sometimes it is a nice change to go out as a whole group: wives and husbands (sometimes) all together! We recently visited two new eating establishments with our friends and neighbors.


The first was dinner at Anzuya, a local izakaya, which serves several small dishes with drinks. Reservations were required, and we were seated in a house above a pool in the center of the restaurant. Like many Japanese places we had to take off our shoes to enter the house, and once inside the floor was made of thick, clear plastic so we could see the pool beneath our sunken table. There were sliding windows of rice paper that we could open and close to see more of the restaurant. The food was average fare, and the promised chocolate fountain was disappointing with hardly any food to cover in chocolate. However, the atmosphere was unique and our group had a fun time. 




The second place was one I found in my book of views. It was a pancake place located along the seawall and is reminiscent of Greece with all white stucco walls except for the wall of windows overlooking the ocean. Greece with more cats on everything. I ordered a caramel coffee and beni-imo (purple sweet potato) pancakes. They came with ice cream as well! I consumed a lot of sugar that day, but the food and the view and the company were all wonderful. I cannot wait to explore more with a whole group of people!





2 comments:

  1. we have been to Anzuya before but they didn't give us the cool table above the water! I need to try Seaside Cafe Hanon, I think we tried once before and either couldn't find it or it was closed...I can't remember now! What is the book of views? is it different to the cafe book?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is part of the 100 series, so I have the books on cafes, views, bakeries, and coffee shops. There is some overlap between the cafe book and the cafes with a view. I found mine at Family Mart!

      Delete