Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Cafe Called Exit

On a gray and misty Saturday afternoon Matt and I discovered the Exit Cafe, and we now have a new favorite lunch spot.  The restaurant obviously used to be a small home with the living room converted into the dining space and a few tables on the patio outside. There was already one vehicle in the tiny driveway, so we parked at an empty house for sale in the same neighborhood and walked. There was only one other family inside, so we were shown a table immediately. We kept pointing to the window to indicate we wanted to sit outside. We were shown the table near the window. We kept shaking our heads and pointing. When the owner realized what we wanted she looked aghast. "Cold!" she told us and rubbed her arms to pantomime freezing. The day was cloudy, but still in the low sixties. I was comfortable in a jacket, and Matt did not need one at all. We still wanted to sit outside, so she showed us the way.

We wanted to sit closer to the view of the ocean and mountains!
The people here in Okinawa are truly hospitable. The owner brought out lap blankets so we would not be cold. We were touched, but also amused because the weather was comfortable to us - just not to people born and raised on a tropical island.

My hot pink fuzzy lap blanket!
I ordered a shrimp pizza that came with soup, salad, a hot drink, and a dessert. We accidentally ordered a pie instead of the ice cream that came with the meal, but that happens with a language barrier. Even though we had to pay extra, I am glad I got to try their apple pie. They decorated the plate with smiley faces in chocolate!


My cute little teapot!
My pie was smiling at me!
Matt and I felt so welcomed into this little home/restaurant with the beautiful views. We are coming back!





No comments:

Post a Comment