Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Quarter of a Century

"You know I'm gonna be 25 in June. That's a quarter of a century. Makes a girl think."

An appropriate quote from Marilyn Monroe's character Sugar Kane in one of the best movies of all time: Some Like It Hot. While I am not currently being wooed by a phony millionaire who also happens to be part of a duo of musicians hiding from the mob by dressing as women (as exciting and confusing as that would be), I managed to have a nice birthday all the same. The wonderful location of our home in Okinawa certainly did not hurt.

Perfection!
The night before my friend and neighbor Kema brought me over red velvet cheesecake cupcakes with homemade cream cheese frosting. The cupcakes were coupled with a "Happy Birthday" rendition by her son.  I am so grateful I had a friend bake me a birthday dessert and another friend sing to me!

Blue glass is my favorite!
 Matt and I started the day by combing the nearby beach for sea glass which was wildly successful. Then we ate lunch at a 50's cafe with picnic tables overlooking the ocean. The cafe was American-style with license plates from different states (we saw Georgia!) and Christmas music playing. It was an interesting juxtaposition to the owners who did not speak any English!




Lunch was followed by pedicures with my girlfriend in the afternoon. This was my first time getting designs on my toes, and I was afraid to breathe in case I disrupted their artwork. My toes are now winter-themed with little snowflakes!



Matt and I ended the night with California-style sushi at American village. The sushi rolls had avocado and cream cheese (yum) and were so huge Matt did not finish his either. It was a shocking amount of food. All in all I had a wonderful day. Even if I am a quarter of a century I am not thinking too much about where my life is going. I like exactly where it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment